Title: Waterwise Ponds
Broadcast: Nov 13th 2016
Presenter: Calinda Anderson
Aquaponics and ponds are a really clever use of water, they keep plants happy no matter how hot or dry the weather is. Today, Calinda shows us some clever ways we can use the water from our aquaponics system or pond.
- The principle of aquaponics is to have a pond to house fish and water, you have grow beds to grow your herbs and veggies and a pump to circulate your water. The fish waste in the water feeds the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish. This really is a clever use of water.
- Recycling the water through the plants keeps them happy and growing beautifully no matter how hot or dry it is. If you set it up so it looks good and compliments your outdoor space then you will have a great water feature where you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the garden.
- Another clever way to use the water from your aquaponics or pond is to always have a watering can handy. Fill it up from the pond at any time to water your hanging baskets or pots.
- The water directly from your pond or aquaponics system is filled with nutrients and your plants will thrive on it.
- Calinda also shows us what to do in the event of needing the change the water in your pond or aquaponics system the waterwise way.
Woodvale Fish & Lily Farm
P: (08) 9409 9248