Gidgegannup Primary School
Title: Gidgegannup Primary School
Broadcast: September 2, 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
The school garden Trevor visits today is bigger than an average housing block and right in the heart of the school. The kids are encouraged to come and go as they please.
- Trev speaks with Trevor Dent, who is the driving force behind what has really become one big life lesson for the students.
- The garden was started in 2012 with the trellis area then built onto it. The whole idea of the garden is to try and engage the children and get the whole school involved so Gidgegannup PS are trying to put in some interesting spots like the tadpole territory and the goldfish grotto and put seating around so the students can come and socialize here.
- One of the great skills the students are learning here is how to use nature to protect their harvest.
- Trev speaks to some of the students about what their favourite veggie to grow is but the good thing about this garden is it’s got vegetables and it’s got fruit but it’s also got flowers! These are good for the pollination of bees.
- These students use their produce for cooking in the classes a fair bit of it goes to the canteen. The school has a little market stall on assembly days.
The Garden Gurus