Trevor’s Gardening Tips
Title: Trevor’s Gardening Tips
Broadcast: September 16th 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor shows you an assortment of plants, from calming lavender to drought resistant eucalypts, and how best to make the most of your soils.
- Lavender is a really great plant to grow in springtime, and bringing the flowers inside your home is a great way to alleviate stress and relax the mind. It’s also a great source of nectar for bees in the spring
- Arctotis, or African Daisy is a great ground cover, offering gorgeous flowers that’ll follow the sun throughout the day. A wildflower from South Africa, they come in a range of beautiful colours.
- When it comes to trees, there are few as tough and yet graceful as Eucalyptus Caesia. Known as Gungurru, or Silver Princess, this is a truly remarkable tree originating from the goldfields of Western Australia.
- These trees are incredibly tough, having adapted to a really difficult environment. Their big wooden knot of a root system, formally known as a lignotuber, stores starch and water, as well as growth buds, enabling it to recover spectacularly following bushfires.
- To get the most of your soil, no matter what the condition, mulching does a world of good. The worms and microbes in the soil will naturally aerate the ground’s surface, and convert organic matter into food for developing roots.
- For more great gardening tips, explore our website!
The Garden Gurus