Title: Hamersley Habitat
Broadcast: September 23rd 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Today, Trevor takes you to a very special community garden that’s absolutely thriving.
- Hamersley Habitat was started in 2014, so it is still in its early stages.
- Trevor speaks with Danielle Wilson, garden coordinator, who explains how the garden’s first and foremost goal was to build something that involved and included their community, to bring the community together.
- Currently, there are about 64 households engaged in this garden, making it a real community experience.
- Not only do they grow produce, but they also have a native garden which helps support the local wildlife.
- They grow a huge range of fruit trees, from citrus, to passionfruit, to apples, and even various nuts.
- Some of their members come from a building background, which has really helped shape this garden into what it is today
- Through state government grants, the garden was able to get facilities such as a stone pizza oven, and their recycled stone seating.
- The produce is distributed through busy bees, as well as advertising on social media. They have a harvest table outside, which is open to the public to help themselves.
- If you want more information about this garden, simply check out our website.
The Garden Gurus