Stevia – Nature’s Candy
Segment: Stevia – Nature’s Candy
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep10
Presenter: Dr. Shy Vishnumohan
TX Date: 23rd November 2019
Stevia is a natural sweetener that has become popular for the things it doesn’t do.
- Along with stevia’s natural sweetness, there is a slight liquorice after-flavour.
- The stevia leaf is 30 times sweeter than cane sugar, but unlike sugar doesn’t raise the blood sugar levels, as our bodies cannot metabolise the sweet tasting glycosides.
- Stevia is appealing to consumers looking to lose weight and keep the blood sugar levels in check. If the idea of a low-calorie sweetener appeals to you, this is a great option.
- Home grown stevia tastes great added to your tea, coffee or smoothie – 2 tablespoons of dried stevia can replace approximately a cup of white sugar.
- Stevia is easy to grow. In WA, it can be picked up from Swan Valley Nursery, and nationwide can be found in all leading garden centres.