Potted Plant Highlight
Story: Potted Plant Highlight
Presenter: Sue McDougall
Air Date: 12th September 2020
Sue shares her tips and tricks for creating a head-turning combination of your favourite potted plants.
- You need a minimum of 3 different varieties to fill a container. Remember to choose your plants with SBT in mind- Strong, Bushy and Trailing.
- Strong plants are large bold plants with dark green foliage and strong architectural form.
- Bushy plants are going to fill in any empty spaces when you put your combination together.
- Trailing plants will cascade down the side of the planter, creating an added interest.
- Bright strong colours will stimulate the senses and give a welcoming energy to an indoor or alfresco area. For a bold combination, you can use Anthurium, Kalanchoe and Peperomia Blue Watermelon.
- Different colours will affect your mood. For cool and calming combinations, look for a Peace Lily or Spathiphyllum, a Cyclamen and a trailing fern.
- Most varieties suitable for mixed containers can stay in planters for a long time as long as they are fertilised regularly. Controlled release fertiliser is a foolproof way of feed plants, releasing small amounts of nutrients over an extended period.
- Use varying shades of green to your advantage. Green is the fail-safe colour that will bring everything together.