Story: Mizuna Red
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Air Date: 31st October 2020
Red mizuna, or red Japanese mustard, makes for an exciting addition to any edible garden.
- Red mizuna is an attractive, fast-growing vegetable with a sweet and peppery flavour.
- It is a member of the cabbage family and has plenty of health benefits, including the presence of indoles, which are rich, cancer-fighting, sulphur-based organic chemicals.
- Red or purple coloured vegetables have higher levels of antioxidants than green forms.
- Red mizuna will thrive in part to full sun with moist but well-drained soil.
- Regular applications of Seasol and PowerFeed will keep it happy and healthy.
- Red mizuna can be used raw to add a bit of zest to regular salads.
- The older leaves are excellent in stir-fries but add them later in cooking so as to retain their flavour.
- Regular harvesting will ensure red mizuna grows well and lives longer.
For more information, head to