Garden Highlights and Problems
Story: Garden Highlights and Problems
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 19th December 2020
Trevor shares a few of the highlights in his garden this season, as well as the common problems that can come with them.
- Summer fruit, like peaches, nectarines and apricots, are beginning to come through. The best way to get fruit fly under control using yellow sticky traps.
- There’s flower thrip that will damage the petals of your roses just as the buds are starting to open.
- This thrip has become resistant to most insecticides out there, making blue sticky traps a more effective option.
- Several species of beneficial insects and mites have become commercially available in Australia, including predatory mites that feed on the thrips larvae.
- Citrus is one of the most rewarding fruit to grow. A frequent complaint about them is about splitting fruit.
- Splitting fruit is a sign of too much love. Reduce the amount of water you give your tree and avoid fertilising it to get better quality fruit.