Low maintenance plants
Story Title: Low maintenance plants.
Date: December 12th 2009.
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane.
With summer here, low maintenance and drought hardy plants are a must in the garden. Discover Trevor’s top picks.
- This attractive deep green selection provides a graceful versatile plant. It has an attractive yellow flower head early in Spring.
- Grows well in full sun and moderate to heavy shaded positions. Tolerates windy and salt laden positions.
- Fertiliser is rarely required, but in ornamental gardens if a darker green is desired, fertilise with any good balanced slow release fertiliser, preferably in Spring or Autumn.
- Compact, clumping ornamental plant similar in habit to a dwarf, non-invasive bamboo. Glossy green foliage to approximately 40cm, with elevated bluish-purple flowers in Spring, followed by attractive purple berries.
- Plant in well mulched garden. Fertilise with slow release once a year in Spring.
- Use for mass planting, Japanese style gardens, accent plant, foliage or grassy gardens, low water requirement gardens, roadsides etc.