Title: Growing Roses
Broadcast: Mar 24th 2018
Presenter: Melissa King
There are very few plants that can beat a rose on their ‘WOW’ factor. In bloom, they’re colourful, fragrant and show-stopping, taking center stage throughout the warmer months.
- There is a rose for every situation, from flowering shrubs to ground covering and climbers. You can use them to decorate walls and fences, use them as stand-alone features or grow them in pots in a city garden, they are truly a very versatile flower.
- Roses need at least 6 hours of sunlight a day with good drainage. If you want picture perfect roses, you need to start with the perfect spot.
- Newly planted roses will need more water than already establishes ones and its best to water them at the roots rather than the foliage. Wet leaves can increase the chances of disease and nobody wants that!
- Apply a good layer of organic mulch to conserve water and reduce competition from weeds.
- Healthy roses are less susceptible to attack, so keep them well fed and watered, grow them in full sun and you’ll be rewarded with a show stopping display of beautiful flowers.
The Garden Gurus