Enchanted Wood, Peter O’Brien
Episode: 1 Bloom Garden show special, Ireland
Title: Enchanted Wood, Peter O’Brien
Broadcast: Aug 18th
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Almost anything is achievable in the tightest of spaces – even a house! Trevor takes a look at every child’s dream tree house (and perhaps even the adults’ too!).
- This is a garden for any age! The running stream, lush planting and subtle colour pallet aims to provide a peaceful escape from the busy world (for the adults at least). While the Dr. Seuss inspired treehouse, with its unusual lines and reduced scale, is an exciting place for children to explore.
- The idea of this small woodland garden design was to create a restful space
- Placed on a woodland slope and combining elements of stone, water and wood draped in informal planting, Enchanted Wood seeks to tap into our in-built connection to the primal forest in general, and to treehouses in particular.
- Here’s a handy tip from Peter: If you want to create a sense of space in your garden, why not add a mirror? An optical illusion that can help deceive the eye into thinking the space is twice as large as it actually is.
- Designer Peter O’Brien designs and builds quality gardens throughout Ireland. He’s a master of many trades, having worked in building contracting, carpentry and joinery. In 1994 Peter decided to branch out to further his keen interest in horticulture, architecture and design
- In recent years Peter has deepened his innate interest in, and affinity with, timber and its many qualities, by developing his portfolio to include the design and construction of high quality, bespoke treehouses and play gardens. He is also currently exploring a newly found passion for forestry in Ireland, especially for sustainable continuous cover mixed species woodland.
- If you want to create a sense of space in your garden, why not add a mirror? An optical illusion that can help deceive the eye into thinking the space is twice as large as it actually is.